At A Kid’s Place, we understand the importance of equipping our children
with the skills they need to successfully transition into adulthood.
With our Independent Living Program, youth participate in various training to include: personal health and hygiene, basic cooking and cleaning, financial literacy, giving back through volunteering, and employment among other things.
Our hope is that throughout their time spent at A Kid’s Place, the Independent Living Program will teach them how to live without constant supervision and feel confident to maneuver their way through life.
We are proud to offer:
- Keys to Independence –designed to provide youth in foster care access to drivers education, obtain a driver’s license and assistance with purchasing car insurance.
- Healing Poetry-allows a safe and healthy space to express the difficulties foster children face using writing and poetry as a means/outlet to heal.
- Onsite Work Program- A Kid’s Place created 6 paid positions for our teens to join our team. The Teens are given a firsthand experience as they apply, interview, and work in various employment positions offered at a Kid’s Place.
- Financial Literacy- We partner with our local bank to teach budgeting, saving, and banking “I wanted to get a credit card, 17-year-old Tonya admitted, “Until I learned how finance charges add up if you don’t pay it off. I never want to owe anybody anything.”
- Culinary class-10 week food safety and basic culinary skills with Ms. Laura, A Kid’s Place kitchen manager.
- Give Back- Teens volunteer at a local food bank and experience purpose and joy in helping others.